Ever since I found out and got used to the idea of having a little girl, I toyed around with the idea of wanting to learn to sew. I saw SO MANY cute things on Pinterest and Etsy (clothes, bibs, burp cloths, etc.) but I didn't want to pay the $30+ price tag for a set of three burp cloths when I could buy a 10-pack at Wal-Mart for under $15.00!
Now mind you, the only thing I had ever sewn in my life was the blanket I made for Addison and even sewing those four straight lines terrified me to no end!! But I never could quite get past the thought of wanting to learn to sew.
Fast-forward to a month before Christmas and Ben was asking me what I wanted for Christmas. Typically I don't ask for anything, or if I do it's stuff I need around the house, like cabinet organizers, but don't want to spend my own money on. Well not this year! When he asked me this year, I looked at him and very quietly said, "I want to learn to sew". ...And I've been a sewing madwoman since I took the thing out of the box!!
Pinterest has been my friend for tutorials and free patterns, and lately I've even ventured into sewing with "real" patterns. I absolutely LOVE it! I find any excuse I can to go to the fabric store and my stash of fabric is already getting slightly out of control.
In fact, I love it so much that I've "opened" my own little Etsy "shop"!!! I've posted three items, and one of them was actually purchased! I don't ever expect to get rich, as this is totally just a little hobby, but it is such a nice feeling to know that someone loves my creation as much as I do! Below are some of the things I've made for Addi Bug, from my very first dress (the red one which was an old sweater of mine) to little rompers that I just adore!
If you know anyone looking for baby girl skirts, or whatever else I've decided to sew that day, feel free to direct them to www.becauseofaddi.etsy.com!!!

2 comments:
I think that's so, so neat!!! I had a girlfriend growing up in elementary school who was forced to take sewing class by her mom starting in first grade. She hated it. But she progressively got better and now it's like the coolest thing ever to have someone who knows how to sew so well! I imagine when she has kids she will put it to good use like you! Your creations are adorable, too! My mom sewed me some of my favorite outfits growing up and I can really only put a button back on a shirt :) ha. Good for you!
ps again, she is SO CUTE
*I obviously meant SEW, SEW NEAT!
Post a Comment