Thursday, August 30, 2012

Mister Defensive MVP

Football season has started and is in full swing for our little Raiders.  They’ve been practicing since the first of August, and had their first pre-season game this past Saturday.  And the sad thing?  I have not taken a single picture yet!!  Not even with my phone!  I am just dropping the ball big time here!  But that will be remedied soon I swear!
My Big Little Dude has totally turned it on this year, and the competitive Mom side of me couldn’t be more proud.  I’m proud either way, but my competitive streak is being satisfied this season also.  Russell plays primarily on defense and is the corner (the very last person on the line), so his job is to either tackle the offensive player carrying the ball if they come his way, or to “turn them in” so they can’t get to the sideline and run out of bounds or down the line.  He’s always played this position, but I think this year it has finally clicked as to what he’s supposed to do. 
He’s been doing great in practice, and the motto for him to remember is “Every person you touch better hit the ground.”  Great teaching, I know.  But we were having issues with him not putting forth a lot of effort, and I just couldn’t take it anymore.  So after several “You need to try as hard as you can”, and “Do your best” pep talks, I finally drew the line and said “Every person you touch better hit the ground.”  And he’s done it!!  He is diving after people, and squaring up to tackle them instead of just putting a shoulder into them.  Even the biggest kids on the team!  He is not backing down.  It has been amazing to watch!  And he’s so pumped at how well he’s doing.  To the point of even punching his own pads in what I assume is some male show of “macho-ism” to scare the other players.  It’s very cute to watch.
So this past Saturday they had their first game, and even though I couldn’t go (stupid clinicals making me miss almost all of the games!) my mom and sister went to cheer my little dude on.  And when I got the text from my sister that said “Russell got defensive MVP!!”?  Well, that is one of my proudest mommy moments yet.  I called to talk to him, and he was just as cool as a cucumber about it.  Like, “Yeah, I’m gonna get a sticker for my helmet.  Wanna talk to Aunt Kacey?”  It was no big deal to him, or at least he didn’t let on if it was.  But for me, it is a HUGE deal, and I couldn’t be more pleased with him.  I can’t wait to get some action shots of him this year; I have a feeling they are going to be great!!
 
 
 

2 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Hi Lindsey! Congrats on your son's great game...MVP! Enjoy! Have a great day!!!

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

haha as long as you tried to teach him with "do your best!" first, I think you're okay to be honest about what the position entails. That's really funny. I always imagine as a Mom that watching your Son in football can be really stressful!! It's such a contact Sport. But then again, it's such a guy sport it's ridiculous and I'm sure will serve him well. Congrats on his MVP designation- that's awesome!!! Hope you get to go to some more games soon!