I did it!!! Not only did I manage to do two posts in one week, I also managed to get the guest bathroom redecorated!! It may have taken me a week or so, but I got it done. Gosh our little break from school was great!
So here are the before pictures...It's not that the bathroom was necessarily bad before, but it didn't reflect our style at all. Ben's grandmother used to live in the basement a few years ago (when his parents owned the house before we moved in), so this was her bathroom. And it suited her. From the big, bulky (to me) medicine cabinet, to the peachy-beige colored "ragged" walls (dipping a folded rag in paint and just patting it all over the walls), it was definitely Gran's bathroom.
But we live here now, and I wanted something different. And after seeing this post and how that bathroom was redone, I knew what I wanted. So to Wal-Mart I went (I was on a budget and we all know Wal-Mart's cheap) and found the shower curtain that I used as my starting point. I found a perfect shade of gray paint that wouldn't be too dark, and then scored at the clearance section on the towels and bathmats. And yes, the bathmats are paper thin, but A) it's our rarely used guest bathroom and B) you can't pass on the $3 for 4 pieces deal! Then I came home and just let everything sit for a couple of months.
We finally got a break from school and I decided one day at work that I was going home to paint that bathroom, no matter what! And I'm so glad I decided to. Especially when Ben came downstairs and actually said "It looks good." (He dreads when I say I'm going to do projects like this.)
Originally I was just going to paint the whole thing gray, and then put up a closet door on the little linen area. But after thinking about it, I wanted that to be something different. I tossed around an idea in my head, and then finally just decided to go with and I painted the back wall of the linen area yellow. And I love it!
I also decided that the original medicine cabinet was too heavy for the room, so I took the doors off and painted it a fun pop of yellow. The room's not 100% complete yet; I still need to iron out the shower curtain and wipe the counters and floors down from where I may have dripped a little paint (oops), but it is good for right now. I am so pleased with how the bathroom turned out, so now it's time to have some company over so the room actually gets used. Or maybe not...I don't want anyone to mess it up! :-)



8 comments:
The first thing that caught my eye was the new medicine cabinet! I was wondering if it was a DIY from the original - so awesome that it was! I love that so much. Especially because it looks SO cute how you have it. Love, love, love!
Very cute upgrade and I think the little inlet being yellow makes a really nice accent. shower curtain is super cute. There's not a walmart near me at all - like 40 minutes away is the closest- so I never go there. But I always did in college as the campus was in a small town- has some great deals. Love the deals and the new room, definitely looks good.
Hhah, why does he hate when you do projects??
Job well done on the blogging and the bathroom!
Very well done! Isn't it amazing what a little paint and a new curtain will do for a bathroom?
wow! What a fantastic make over- I love the bright color pops! xo
Wow...that loooks nice. Good job :)
That looks so good!! I'm dying to redo our master bathroom. I keep talking about it and thinking about ideas, but I just haven't started yet. Good job girl!
whoa. nice job! I am in love with the colors!! we have done two bathrooms now ... lots of work, but totally worth it. I was just excited to actually have two working toilets! ;)
and ... when we did all of our home improvements, I was the same way. no one was allowed in. ;)
Wow! That looks fabulous! I love the colors and the way you used them!
I'm in the process of re-doing my master bath. yours looks great! Maybe I will take the doors off my medicine cabinet! Great idea!
XO
Marissa
Https://quityourdaydreaming.Blogspot.com
Post a Comment