Happy New Year!! My apologies in advance for what could turn into, and probably will be, a lengthy post. It's just been a crazy few weeks, so now we have to catch up.
I picked up my Christmas pictures from Walgreens yesterday (thank you Money Saving Mom for the 25 free prints coupon code!) and couldn't help but grin like a fool. Looking at those pictures brought back every single memory of Christmas day and all the feelings of joy we had. Not to mention that they are actually really good pictures. Maybe I'm biased though.
The boys got most of the stuff they asked for from Santa, as well as a few surprises that they didn't know Santa knew about. Like the jet that Russell wanted to buy, but didn't have enough money for...Santa must've been close by that day because he dropped that jet off Christmas morning. And the roller blades. He brought those as a special surprise for the boys...And that has been pretty funny to watch! Picture a baby deer trying to stand for the first time. That's what the boys look like in these skates. :-) And Brandon was so cute this year, and was ALL ABOUT opening presents. He would grab presents from under the tree and would just start tearing into them. I'd say "Brandon, let me see who that is for; it may not be yours." And his response was "Yes it is mine, I got it from under the tree!" So funny! And then there was the stool that Santa brought him for the bathroom. Santa's intent was for it to be used at the sink so that B didn't haven't stand on the toilet and lean over to the sink to brush his teeth. Well being the "still small but trying to be so big" guy that B is, he decided to use the stool to stand at the potty and go pee. Because you know, what little boy wants to sit on the potty to pee? It's much more fun to try to hit the water standing up! Well on one attempt at this, the stool slid causing Brandon to almost fall into the potty. Amid tears and wails Brandon said "Can you call Santa and tell him to come get that stool??" It was so pitiful, but so funny too. I hope we haven't ruined gifts from Santa forever now!
All of the running around on Christmas Eve and Day wears us out, but I love being able to see and spend time with all of our family. I wouldn't trade it for the world.
All of the running around on Christmas Eve and Day wears us out, but I love being able to see and spend time with all of our family. I wouldn't trade it for the world.
A week later (on New Year's Eve) Ben and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary. Can I say that I can't believe it's been 8 years already!?!?! Crazy!! We debated what to do for the evening: a night out on the town, quiet night at home with the boys, what to do, what to do. Ben ended up taking me to Pampas for a great steak dinner, then we headed home to meet up with the neighbors for a bonfire. It was a beautiful evening and we had a great time hanging out with friends. I think it was a great way to ring in the New Year.
I know that with the New Year everyone starts making their resolutions and lists of all the things they're going to change this year. I did none of that. I have goals in mind, and things that I hope happen before the end of the year, but I'd be lying if I said I made any resolutions. I never stick to them anyway, and then only end up disappointed at the end of the year that I didn't do better. So I have goals this year that I think are attainable and that I look forward to trying to reach. Some of my goals for this year are:
1. Sell Our House!!! We've not lived there for over a year...It's time to get serious and get it gone!
2. Save More, Spend Less. I tend to be an impulse shopper, so this year I want to do better about saving more and spending less. So far I'm not off to a good start though as we've redecorated two rooms in our house already...I'll share the before and afters soon. The rooms look GREAT!!
3. Be On Time!! I love my sleep and despise having to wake up in the mornings...I'll need a lot of help to accomplish this one.
4. Have More Patience. At work, with school. AT HOME!
5. Travel. Whether it's weekend trips close to home or a vacation to some place tropical, I want to get away a few times this year. One trip is already in the works, so this one looks promising. So much for that save more, spend less thing! :-)
6. Cook More. And spaghetti doesn't count. I remember how good my mom's cooking always was; I want my boys to be able to say the same thing.
7. Be More Productive. At work and at home. I know this is very broad, but it can be done. I love making lists, but then I get sidetracked and don't get anything on my list done (uh oh...This is my first list of 2012; let's hope we complete something!!). I want to mark more things off my lists daily this year, both at work and at home.
8. Do Laundry Often. This one has both literal and metaphorical meanings. The literal one is obvious. But "doing laundry" also now means PRAYING to me. It was shown to me this past year that I pray about like I do laundry: When stuff piles up and I need something. I have never and will never forget that, and I hope to do better at both not only in this new year, but always. I imagine that if I do better with this one first, all of the others will come a little easier.
So far this year is off to a good start. We're one week in to preschool in the new year, and not a single tear has been shed. I asked Brandon the other day how school was and his response was "Not too bad." The kid cracks me up. Dinner has been on the table each night this week at a decent time, and the laundry hasn't piled up one time this week. I know it always won't be like this, but it sure has been nice to start the year off this way. I hope the New Year for all of you is also off to a great start. Wishing you a prosperous, healthy, and happy new year!

4 comments:
this is soo cute: "Yes it is mine, I got it from under the tree!". haha, kid logic. I can see his train of thought there, most certainly. I love the family photo! Your xmas looks beautiful- so many presents behind you! And I like your sweater, always a fan of any variation of argyle.
Sounds like you had a nice anniversary and New Year's. Sounds elegant with a side of simple: my favorite.
I love your goals, your analogy for praying is very interesting and wise. I never really thought about it like that but as I currently have a closet full of laundry... I can most certainly see the analogy. I dig it! (I usually will not do laundry until I run out of underwear, that's the barometer... but that's only because I don't have laundry in my apartment and have to use the basement. If I had it in the unit, I would do it more).
I also want to save more and spend less- always a goal and I've gotten so much better at it this last year. And I want to see the before and afters!
And your number 3 could NOT cry out to me more. I even made the background of my phone 'GET OUT OF BED CAITLIN' so I see it as I attempt to snooze my alarm as much as possible. I hate that trait in myself!
Glad you had a great holiday and anniversary. Congrats. Love your resolutions; I do mine monthly.
happy late anniversary! my husband and i have ours just a few days after christmas and we are always thrashed to do anything!!! so good for you!
Lindsay
What a beautiful family! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love yours!
Post a Comment