I'm having a moment today that I hope will quickly pass. Brandon started pre-school yesterday and did great, but today he did not want to go AT ALL, so of course Mommy is an emotional wreck from having walked out with her child screaming behind that closed door.
We decided a couple of months ago to go ahead and move him to pre-school because he'll start Pre-K in August anyway. Poor Russell was our guinea pig for Pre-K and we just dumped him there on his very first day of school and I swear I will never, ever forget the look on his face. I cried for the better part of the day on that one; I was not going to do the same to Brandon and put myself through that torture again. Plus, Brandon is a little more stubborn temperamental spirited than Russell was, so I felt like he would need a little more time to adjust to a new setting rather than just being dumped there on day one.
So the plan had been to take him to the school last Thursday, but I didn't realize that they required 24-hours notice in order to do a day drop in. Well of course by that time Brandon was excited to go to big boy school, so I had to fib a little and tell him that they didn't have enough food for him since we didn't call in time. But I promised him that he could go on Monday and play at the big boy school. Monday morning rolled around and one of the first things Brandon asked me was "Does the big boy school hab enough food for me?" I told him absolutely they did, and off we went. He was so excited to go there, and had a great day. He told me about how they ate "brekast" and played on the "swide" and also that he needed to do his homework. He had no idea what his homework was, but he was set on the fact that he had to do it.
But this morning...Quite a different story this morning. One of the first things out of his mouth this morning was "I don't want to go to school to pway; I want to go pway with Katewyn (his cousin)". Not lookin' good at 6:30 in the morning. I tried to ignore him and just told him to get dressed, but he was determined to make sure I knew that he didn't want to go to school. "I don't want to be a big boy. I want to be a widdle boy and go to Mimi's!"
Crying, stomping, not cooperating...That is how the morning went until we got to school (yes, I still took him even though he didn't want to go). He actually did fine going into the school until the moment that I gave him a kiss and told him "See you later." That's when it all fell apart. He grabbed my leg, I pulled his arms loose. He grabbed my arm, I pulled his arms loose. He grabbed my jacket, the teacher held on to him. I gave him another kiss and pulled the door closed. I could hear his screams almost all the way to the front door. I did not even make it out of the parking lot before the sobbing on my part started. There is nothing in the world that can make you feel like a shi**ier Mom than leaving your kid screaming somewhere. I made it to work without turning around to rescue him, and when I called to check on him, do you know what I was told??? "Oh yeah, he's fine! He had stopped crying before you even got out of the parking lot!"

3 comments:
that's how it is, right? they tear your heart out and poof, fine 5 min later. i hope the rest of the week goes better.
I freakin love this kid!!! I have so been there!!! Clara was the same way, and I still watch her walk down the hall until she gets to whre I can't see her anymore and she is in Kindergarten!!! UGH!! I love yall so much and miss you!! Give my little boy kisses !!!
oh gosh! hahah, Mister Man! I worked in a Daycare all through college and always witnessed the painful drop-off and the sad, near-tears parent prying their child's hands off their body. haha, it is so sad!! I can't imagine how difficult it is but I will say that it's important to keep it in mind that leaving and coming back helps him to grow and as you clearly found out, he'll always be okay. haha rough morning! Thank you for the added bonus of the baby talk.
Post a Comment