Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Catching Up

He wore Christmas socks in October, so I can post Halloween pictures in November.  And Thanksgiving pictures in December.  And so forth and so on.  I was so worried this year that I would miss Trick-or-Treating with my boys because of school, but fortunately our teacher was understanding and let us take our test and then go home.  I made it home just in time for the sun to set and the fun, or lack thereof for Brandon, to begin.  
The boys' cousins all came over and trick-or-treated in our neighborhood, and since it's a small neighborhood we let them head off on their own.  Well silly me forgot to think about the one house that is always super creepy and that the man living there comes out dressed like a scary clown (no wonder people are afraid of clowns!) holding a knife like he's been chopping meat...Yeah, that was all Brandon needed to see before he made a bee-line back to our house.  I don't think I've ever seen his little legs move so fast in my entire life!  I felt horrible for him, but I couldn't help but laugh.  The look on his face was absolutely priceless; I wish I had been able to get it on camera.  When he got back up to the house he wanted to just be done with trick-or-treating; I guess he had gotten his one trick and was over it from there.  I finally convinced him to keep going, but it took Ben telling Brandon that he had his knife with him, and that no one would get him.  We walked back down the street with Brandon literally yelling "Daddy, go cut that cwown!!"  Nice.  I'm sure the neighbors think we're fantastic parents!  Go figure that house had been their first stop too, so for the rest of the night Brandon asked me at every house "Is this a scary house?".  It took him about 10 houses to finally feel comfortable going up and asking for candy, but he would only go as long as "Sabana", his big cousin, went with him.
Russell was all about trick-or-treating this year again; he loved dressing up like a pirate, and would probably wear the costume pants every day if I'd let him!  He was so sweet with his brother after it was over; the two of them sat on the floor, and Russell offered to trade candies with him. :-)  I know Russell's motives were for his own benefit since Brandon doesn't really know about "good candy" yet, but I still thought it was very cute.  Russell is always a good big brother, but he can be a great one when he chooses! 
School has been good; we only have about a month left of this semester so it's crunch time.  We're doing care plans and assessments and reviews and tests...These next 4 weeks will be rough!  But I feel like I have learned at least a little bit about being a nurse, and I know I have certainly learned a lot about the type of nurse I do not want to be.  I don't want to be the nurse that thinks "crazy meds" or sedatives are the answer to everything.  And I don't want to be the nurse who has zero time to just talk to the patients.  Yes I know that we won't be able to sit for an hour with each patient, but in the environment I've been in, they are CRAVING just a little bit of attention.  I want to be the nurse that will take a few minutes to give them that attention.  I know patience gets tested and nerves get rattled, but still...I just don't want to be "that" kind of nurse.  I guess only time will tell how I'll be able to handle it, but right now I plan on handling it well.  I guess we'll see! 

2 comments:

Mary and Dyer said...

Love the cute pictures!! Halloween is the best, especially when it ends in sibling sharing/love! So sweet! xox

Blessings,
Kat
www.maryanddyer.blogspot.com
www.maryanddyer.com

Pam said...

You have the cutest little pirate and scooby doo there! :) Good luck over the next 4 weeks, we'll be praying for you!