Thursday, March 2, 2017

Training: Week Twelve

TWO WEEKS OUT!!
I've got a whole basket of emotions that I've been cycling through, and they range from absolutely excited to scared out of my mind.  But I keep telling myself to just take it a day at a time and everything will be fine.

I hurt my back at my workout last week (but man it was an awesome workout!), and I could barely move on Friday night/Saturday morning.  I ended up going to the chiropractor Saturday morning, and his diagnosis was an SI Joint injury and treatment of "take it easy for the next 3-4 weeks"...Um, yeah, about that...
As soon as I left I shot coach a text to let him know what was going on, and that's when all the emotions started to roll in.  I managed to survive Saturday and keep it together, but Sunday morning was just plain rough.  
I deal with back pain daily, and it just is what it is.  Unfortunately this pain was different and it frustrated me to no end that I couldn't roll over in bed, or even sit myself up in bed!  I feel like I have a high tolerance for pain, and the fact that this had me at points of not being able to move just felt like a punch to the gut.  "All these weeks of hard work for nothing now?"  "Why did this have to happen just two weeks away from the competition?"  Then the tears came.  And then I got even more pissed because I hate crying and pity parties.  And then we were running late for church but I still needed to fix my oatmeal, but I couldn't find a bowl and once I did I couldn't find the measuring cup.  Finally found the measuring cup so I heated up my oatmeal, which bubbled over in the microwave which made me cuss.  Then I started crying again because here we are trying to go to church and I'm dropping cuss words.  
Run out of the house to the car, back out the driveway and head toward the main road.  Here come the tears again because I FORGOT MY GLASSES!  I mean seriously, I'm blind so how in the heck did I forget my glasses!!  Ben calmly turned the car around and drove back home, made Russell run in and get my glasses, and then told me to "pull it together because you're freaking the kids out."  He's so supportive. :-)
Sunday ended much better than it started, but man it was a rough morning!

But back to Saturday.  I did a test-run of my spray tan on Friday night to make sure I would like the color.  Turns out I absolutely loved it!  We decided to also do a test-run of hair and makeup as well, and aside from a couple of tweaks I think the look came together quite well!  It has definitely made me look forward to getting on stage now that I've seen a small preview of what that day will look like!

Workouts have been modified this week due to my back.  I'm still putting the work in, but it's not nearly to the level that I wish it was, and I have to be okay with that.  Coach assures me that I won't lose any of my progress in this short amount of time, so I have to keep telling myself to take it easy so as not to injure myself to the point of not being able to walk out on stage.  Next week's workouts will be even more modified simply due to the carb restriction, reduced energy levels, and the need to let my muscles recover.  Next week is "peak week" when I will see all the changes my body has made, and I'm excited for what's to come!

Nutrition is very restricted this week in an attempt to start burning off the fat so that the muscles will pop through.  Lots of protein and veggies with limited carbs. What's funny to me about this week is the realization of how much my metabolism has increased.  The last two days I've averaged about 1300 calories per day, which is what I used to eat regularly (though it was mostly carbs and wine!).  Prior to cut week I was up to about 2000, and now only eating 1300ish leaves me hungry!  It is amazing to see how your body adjusts when treated properly, and I can't wait to get back to my 2000 calories!  It's no wonder I used to feel sluggish so much...I wasn't giving my body what it needed to support everything I wanted it to do!

Coach, and everyone else, tells me that this week and next will be tough for me but I'm actually looking forward to it.  I feel like I've done everything that I should up to this point, so cutting out carbs shouldn't send me crashing.  At least that's what I hope.  I have had a couple of "duh" moments, but otherwise no angry or grumpy spells.  I'm just so excited to step on that stage, and see my hard work pay off.

*And side note:  The look presented on stage will be an extreme, and is not a look that is feasible to maintain.  It is simply a "shrink wrap" to show off the baby muscles that I've been working so hard to grow.  Yes I will be very lean, and some may consider it skinny or unhealthy.  Please don't worry, I have every intention of getting back to my pre-show weight, but this time by eating the right things and treating my body well.  And by putting on more muscle so that I can compete again.  I'm loving this journey so far and all of the positive changes.  In my mind there has not been one negative thing about this since I started.  Oh, except not being able to have wine these last two weeks.  That kinda sucks.  Details.


No comments: