Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Downhill From Here

I am now 21 weeks 4 days, also known as “Over the halfway point!”  Here’s our latest rundown:

Weight Gain: 7-8 lbs, right in line according to the doctor.
Baby (according to app): 10.5 inches and 12.7 oz (but ultrasound estimates around 12 oz and “trending big” according to the doctor…Not sure what I think about that!)
Gender: GIRL!! We made sure to confirm this again at the ultrasound last week.
Showing: Yes, though most people are still surprised when I tell them how far along I am.  I guess it’s hard to tell when I wear scrubs, but in my every day clothes you can see my little bump.
Movement: Every day and I love, love, love it!  Not only does it let me know she’s still okay in there, it is one of the neatest feelings ever!  She is breech (bottom down instead of head down like she should be--No surprise there that she's already doing her own thing!) so I mostly feel her little knees and feet kicking very low in my abdomen, but occasionally I’ll feel a hand or elbow swing across my belly.  And she’s quick to let me know that she doesn’t like when I lie on my right side.  I guess it throws her off balance or something because she has a kicking fit the first few minutes that I’m on my right side.
Energy: Pretty good for the most part.  I’m fighting a cold right now, so I’m more drained than I have been, but it’s not too bad.  I’m most definitely trying to take advantage of the extra energy and the beautiful weather we’ve been having.
Sleep: Still pretty good, but there is no hope of sleeping on my belly anymore.  And I’ve gotten to the point where if I feel I need a nap, I take a nap.  I know that my time of being able to sleep will soon be gone, so I take advantage of it when I can.
19 w 3 d. First Braxton Hicks, and Daddy felt you move for the first time!
Brandon felt you move a few days later...He said you made his hand hurt.

Mood: Getting better.  I’ve noticed that when I walk or workout, I feel 10x better (rocket science!) so I try to go for a walk and/or workout just about every day.  It is amazing how a few workouts or a few missed workouts can change how you feel!
Cravings: Not too many over the past few weeks.  I did crave pizza the other night (not unusual), and I wanted “good” pizza, not just pizza from Papa John’s or Pizza Hut.  It had to be either Mellow Mushroom or Johnny’s.
Things I Miss: Still would like to have a good glass of wine.  And I miss laying on my belly, especially now that the weather’s nice and we’ve been out on the boat so much.  I’m going to look funny with half of me tan and the other half pale!
Other:  We had the “big” ultrasound last week and all looks pretty good.  Heart rate was 144 and as I mentioned she is estimated to be about 12 oz.  There is a small cyst on her brain that we have to re-evaluate in 8 weeks, but everything else was within normal limits.  I’m not worried about it all; God has it all under control and I know He’s going to take care of it.  This follow up US is just a chance for me to see her once more. 
The doctor seems to think she is “trending big” which is funny to me.  He asked what my biggest baby was and when I said 7 lb 10 oz he says, “Oh, so you’re going for a personal record, huh?”  Well, no.  Not on things that come out of that small hole!  But it was a relief that she’s where she needs to be; everyone makes so many comments about how small I am that for a while I was concerned she might not be growing normally.  Guess I was wrong!
Baby Girl is stubborn and already has a mind of her own that is difficult to change once made up.  There is no denying that she is my child, and for that I surprisingly pleased.  To not have wanted a girl, I am so excited to meet her and to watch her grow into a stubborn, strong-willed, wonderful little person.
*Sorry for the book; I enjoy talking about my baby!
Sweet Baby Girl with her hand under her chin

1 comment:

Billie Jo said...

Always talk about that baby!
I am always excited to listen!
Sooo happy for you all.
Enjoy! : )