Friday, January 18, 2013

The Feather

I’ve referenced the feather on here a few times, and yes, there is a reason for it. 
 
The weekend Pawpaw passed away I was to have clinicals.  I didn’t want to go. I didn’t want to do anything to be honest, but I had already had to make up one day from when Russell was baptized, so they were only able to let me be out on the actual day of Pawpaw's service.  That meant I had to wake up bright and early and go to clinicals on Saturday. 
It was my first rotation on Pedi, and even though that’s where I’ve said I wanted to work, I just really wasn’t feeling it this particular day.  But I know Pop’s would have wanted me to just keep going, so I got my patient assignment and went to introduce myself. 
When I walked into the room, Little One was sitting on mom’s lap eating breakfast.  I didn’t want to interrupt for too long, so I told her I’d just ask a few questions and get out of her way.  I pulled my pen out of my pocket and a feather (not a big one like from a bird, but just a small, white feather) came flying out too.  “Where in the world did this feather come from?  Why are feathers in my pocket?” was what I said.  And the response I got was just what I needed to hear.  Little One’s mother said “My mom always told me that when you see a feather, it means there’s an angel with you.”
I have not and will never forget that, and I will always think of Pops when I see a feather.  I don’t see them often, but it seems like on days that I miss him the most, or days when my heart just needs a little peace, there’s always a feather somewhere.  The last one I saw was on Sunday when we did not go to church and instead stayed home to work on the boys’ new room.  I was cleaning the baseboards and saw this little blue feather laying on the floor by my leg.  There is nothing in our house at all that has blue feathers.  So thanks Pops…Yes we will be at church next Sunday.
And the one I saw before that was on New Year’s Eve, mine and Ben’s 9 year anniversary.  I saw it on the kitchen floor that morning when I woke up, and knew that it was his way of wishing us a happy anniversary and happy new year.  Thank you Pops, for still always being here.  And thank you Lord for sweet comfort.  And for feathers from angels’ wings.
    
 

2 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Hi Lindsey...This makes me smile ...I am happy you have these messages and that you recognize them as what they are...God's gift to you from your loved one! Hope all is well with you and your family! : )

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

Wow. I wouldn't forget that moment either- seriously. How amazing is that!!! I really feel like moments like that are from something greater than us (as you stated). How tender, sweet and kind.

That is amazing that you've seen feathers all over since- even when the don't have any logical place in your home. How peaceful to feel your Grandpa's presence when you need it.

I love this story and the message alongside it- it makes me wonder if my Grandparents are sending me signs that I'm not seeing- I miss them so.

Thank you for sharing the inspiration!