Depression. It’s a
battle. I don’t talk about it, ever. With
the exception of referencing “my meds”.
I don’t like to talk about it. I’ve
never discussed it with my family; not even Ben really. Quite frankly, I’m ashamed to admit that I
suffer from it.
Whether I’ve always suffered from a mild case or not, I’m
not sure. I just know it was exacerbated
when I gave birth to my first baby. But
even then I had no idea what the heck was going on and why I felt the way I
did. I’ve always been a moody
individual. I’ve always had a
temper. I’ve always been what most refer
to as “a bitch”. (That’s the description of me that I
struggle with the most.) But I just
assumed that that’s who I was, and that adding a child to my life unexpectedly at 19 just
brought out my moodiness more.
After Russell was born it was pretty bad. I pushed people away; people who were once a huge part of our lives. I isolated myself. I came pretty dang close to pushing Ben away but
I knew that if he went, he would take my baby with him. That was the breaking point where I knew I
needed help. So I went to a counselor;
we talked about some things. I started
taking my meds. And things got much
better. No it’s not anywhere as simple
as those few sentences make it sound.
But that’s it in a nutshell.
I’ve struggled off and on since that time. I feel so much better when taking my meds
that I tell myself I’ll be fine without them.
That’s the dumbest logic ever.
But I would stop taking them, and things would crash. I’d start back on them again and things would
be back where they should. It’s been a
roller coaster the whole time.
With Baby Girl on the way, I once again weaned off my meds
because SSRI’s are generally considered not safe during pregnancy. Yes, you can take them (always consult with your
doctor), but I chose not to. And it’s
been hella hard this time around. As I
discovered, exercise does help keep my mood more stable. But unfortunately, not always. And I’ve decided it’s time for me to face
this crap head on rather than pretending it doesn’t exist, or skirting
around it and saying “I’m just tired”, or “I’m in a bad mood”. It’s neither of those, both of those, and so
much more than those all at the same time.
I’m struggling with my depression.
Some people may look at me and say “What the hell does she
have to be depressed about?” And I find myself asking the same thing. I have a husband who loves me
unconditionally (Thank God!), two healthy boys and a healthy girl on the way,
two good jobs, a car, a house, and many other earthly pleasures. I have my faith, my salvation. And I have depression. I didn’t choose it, and I’m struggling to
control it. And some days, yes, it makes
life a living hell for me and everyone around me.
It’s hard for people to understand it if they haven’t
suffered from it themselves. And I’m
certainly not an expert on the matter, but if I were I would like to hope that
I would be doing a better job managing mine.
But it is what it is. I’m owning
up to it. I’m hoping I can learn to
manage it better. And I’m praying every
day that NONE of my children suffer from depression.
And just for the record…Depression is the bitch, not me.
*Please
excuse my use of ugly words. I try to
keep it clean when it’s in writing, but some days that just doesn’t cut it.
1 comment:
i appreciate your honesty--i can't imagine how it feels. i'm so glad you shared your story with us. you'll help someone!
Post a Comment