Saturday, August 6, 2011

So I don't Forget

I have to write it down so that I don't forget.  Because it was such a sweet, rare moment and I want to remember it forever.  I know I've mentioned before about Pawpaw having Alzheimer's, and he's at the point now where he doesn't talk at all and we rarely get much of any kind of reaction out of him.  So when we do get a word or a smile out of him, it's a big deal.  Well today was my day to hang out with Pawpaw, and as soon as Pawpaw came in the living room, Brandon ran to him and hugged his leg in a way that only toddlers can do.  Pawpaw smiled, reached down and rubbed Brandon's head.  Melt my heart.  Then while we (yes, I let Brandon help) were helping Pawpaw eat his breakfast, Pawpaw looked at Brandon and made his eyes open so big.  I started laughing, Brandon started laughing, and Pawpaw smiled again.  It was a moment that brought tears to my eyes; still does when I replay it in my head, and I hope I remember that moment forever.  Oh my goodness at the things we take for granted.  

Brandon and Pawpaw taking their afternoon naps.

2 comments:

Lori said...

I'm glad you had a moment that melted your heart:)

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

omg so much love, thank you so much for the touchiny perspective. You're very right, we do take these things for granted. I was just with my Grandma in Hospice while her mind went, it was very sad. I hope you continue to have these types of moments!