Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Because You Know You Want to Know

So we’ve been in the new house for right at three months, and it’s finally starting to feel more and more like home.  With this house, I knew that I wanted to be more “in charge” of decorating and making it my own, but when it comes to decorator know-how…Well, to say I’m clueless is probably an understatement.  So when I stumbled on to this post from House Tweaking, I was SUPER excited.  However, when  I told Ben about it, he was less than super excited.  I think it was even to the point of him telling me that decorating a laundry room was a waste of time.  And he might have even said the S-word (you know, begins with stew, ends with –pid).  But I wanted it.

Finally, after a little arguing and a lot of me griping, I got to decorate my laundry room.  I took the design pretty much right from House Tweaking’s post (remember-no decorator know-how??) but I think it turned out perfectly.  IMG_1761On the right wall I have Russell’s swordfish picture that he drew last year in Kindergarten, accompanied by two colorful fish found at TJ Maxx.  On the left I have my relaxing beach scene and my “Breathe” sign.  I had to throw that in so that I remember to “Breathe” when the laundry is piled halfway up to the ceiling.  IMG_1762 In the baskets above, I keep extra detergent and dryer sheets (bought when on sale at Publix) so that we always have some on hand, just in case.  I would keep that stuff in the cabinets, but it just clutters up the cabinets, and I’m trying to keep things as uncluttered as possible (I will overlook that fact that as I typed that statement, I was looking at mass chaos in my kitchen/dining/living area.  Will these kids ever learn to pick up after themselves?).

I love this room because it is fun and cute to look at, and it makes the task of laundry seem just a tiny bit less dreadful…Okay, maybe that’s a lie, but something needs to get me excited about doing laundry!

So there it is, one room in our house that’s finally and officially complete.  My “want to do” list is still growing though, and I have a few projects already in my mind (of course all kindly stolen borrowed from someone else’s creativity) so maybe in a few months weeks I’ll show you more of someone else’s my genius at work!

What do you think about it?

-Lindsey

2 comments:

Jessica Freeman said...

Love it!! It is so cute!

The Lichtenberg's said...

I think it looks great! Anything to help with the dreadful laundry process is well worth it. Also not matter how much you try the laundry room door always seems to be open so it might as well be decorated too :-)