The news that we had been hearing at the last 3 doctor visits finally came to pass. Brandon had to have ear tubes put in. With 7 ear infections in less than a year, the doctor did not want to mess around anymore with antibiotics.
We were referred to an ENT where we found that Brandon still had fluid on his ears, even after a week of antibiotics, and that he also had slight hearing loss. So I said “schedule the surgery” and off we went.
I was fine throughout this entire process until the day that I finalized the surgery. And then I just wanted to cry. Something about having it in stone was just not sitting very well with me. After thinking long and hard about it, I finally figured out that it wasn’t so much the general anesthesia that bothered me; it was leaving my baby with complete strangers, allowing them to put him to sleep, allowing them to do surgery on him, and me not being able to be there with him the entire time. In my experience as a mom, that is the worst kind of helplessness there is.
The day of the surgery came, and I asked one more time (I’d already asked 3 other times!) if I could be in the room with Brandon until they put him to sleep…The answer was YES!!!! So I suited up (quite an attractive suit I got to wear!), and headed in to the room. Brandon did just fine under general anesthesia, and has even done fine since the surgery. When they were waking him up, his biggest concern was “owsi” or Outside. The kid wanted to go outside. They discharged us, and out the door we went to get my baby some breakfast.
Thank you to everyone for every thought, prayer, text, and phone call. I know this was just a minor surgery and that many parents go through much worse things, but for us this was a first and I appreciate the support. Below are more photos from our day…He was such a trooper!!
Lindsey
1 comment:
Sweet boy so glad everything went ok.
Post a Comment