Six years ago today, I was blessed with a little gift that has forever changed my life. I had no idea at the time how much I would love this little gift, and I can not imagine my life without the little gift in it. You see, six years ago today, at 9:57 am, Russell Edward Hill joined our little Hill family. We couldn't have been more excited and proud to welcome him into our family.
The story of Russell's arrival has always been very funny to me. It's funny to think back to all the things that happened in the 24 hours before he was born, and to see how it all played out. On April 8th, 2004 I didn't think twice about anything that I said or that happened, but then when it all came true and I delivered my biggest little man the very next day, I couldn't help but laugh.
I had a doctor's appointment the morning of 4/8, and I thought about asking her to check and see if I had started dilating any. I ended up not asking, but I did tell her that the baby couldn't come until after Sunday, because Sunday was Easter and I had to be at church to play the piano. It was all in joking, because he wasn't due for 2 more weeks, so no worries right? So I headed back to work (I worked at a bank at the time), and we had a particular location that was just in a total mess. My supervisor told me on Thursday (April 8th) that I had been volunteered to work at this location on 4/9/04 in order to help them get things back on track. I knew I could handle the task, but I kept telling my supervisor that the 'stress' of them sending me to work at that crazy location was going to send me in labor. I joked all day about that but didn't really think anything of it. After all, I wasn't due for another 2 weeks. I figured I would be just fine.
That evening (still on 4/8/04), we went to eat with Ben's parents at Ruby Tuesday and I was CRAVING a bacon cheeseburger. And mind you, it was the best tasting cheeseburger I had put in my mouth. Delicious. Anyway, Bobby and Gaye fussed all through dinner, about what I don't remember. It finally got to the point that I told them their arguing was going to send me into labor. I just couldn't listen to it anymore!
We finished eating dinner and had to go to Home Depot for something. As you all probably know, a trip to Home Depot for Ben is like a trip to Target for me. There is just way too much cool stuff to look at in that place. So we walked around and around and around that store for hours. Or at least it felt like hours because my back was absolutely killing me! All I wanted to do was sit down, but No!, we had to keep walking and see what else there was to look at! Finally my father-in-law, bless his heart, told Ben that he needed to take me home or I would be having a baby in the middle of Home Depot. I told him it wasn't anything like that; my back just hurt. I was fine, just needed to sit down.
We made it home and I "rested" as much as I could until I could finally take it no more. Ben had gone to bed early because he had to be at work at 5:00 the next morning, but I told him (around midnight) that we needed to go to the hospital. And do you know what he had the nerve to tell me??? He said, "Go back to bed, you'll be fine." And then he asked me "Did you call the doctor to see what they said?". Well hello! The doctor is the one who said I needed to come in since my contractions were 5 minutes apart!!! So he laid in bed for a few more minutes, until I finally threatened to call my Daddy and have him take me to the hospital. Knowing that would not go over well for himself, Ben got up and out the door we headed.
Once at the hospital I found out I was between 3 and 4 cm dilated, and that our newest addition would be arriving soon. And I won't mention that Ben asked the nurse if I was really going to have the baby, because if not he had to be at work in just a couple of hours...Yeah, he was still worried about going to work! Anyway, I started pushing a little before 7 am, which was right before shift change at the hospital. The pushes weren't making much of a difference, and they new I was tired (I hadn't slept after all!) so they let me rest while the new mid-wife was updated on where things stood. When she came to check on me, she started laughing and said "I thought he couldn't come until after Sunday?"...That's right. The same mid-wife I saw on Thursday morning is the one who delivered Russell on Friday morning, April 9, 2004, at 9:57 am.
All of that was said so that I could say:
All of that was said so that I could say:
Happy 6th Birthday to you, my biggest little man. I love you and will forever cherish the day that you arrived, changing my life forever.
Love,
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment