Friday, August 28, 2009

Taking the Bad with the Good

Well as you've seen, my littlest man is 1 year old, walking like crazy, transitioning to table foods, and doing quite well with it all. There's only one draw back...The dairy allergy that he's had since birth is still hanging around. :-(
I mentioned that we were trying to transition to whole milk a few weeks ago, but after just a few days of adding milk to his bottles, Brandon got an AWFUL diaper rash, as well as some other kind of rash that I was never quite able to identify. Around the same time though, he either caught some kind of virus, or was having fits with his 1-yr molars, so I just assumed that's where the rashes came from. I called the pediatrician, just to be sure, and the nurse said to stop with the milk for now and give him time to get over the sour tummy and time for his bottom to heal, and then try again. I did that, and then slowly started back with adding 2 oz of whole milk to his morning and night bottles. I did this for a week and all seemed to be fine.
When we went for Brandon's 12 month check up on Monday (8/24), I mentioned to the Dr. that he had had trouble with dairy products since birth (I couldn't even have dairy when I was nursing; that's how sensitive he was/is) and that I was nervous about this milk transition. He said that by 1 year they've usually outgrown any dairy allergies, so it would be fine for us to transition him. So I passed this along to Cathy (the babysitter) and told her she could start adding milk to the bottles he gets at her house also. Well apparently my one year old has not outgrown his dairy allergy!
On Tuesday night (after 48 hours of only 2 oz of whole milk in each bottle), I put Brandon down at his usual bed time, but he was up screaming about an hour later. I tried cuddling, rocking, changing his diaper...The only thing that calmed him was gas drops. We got him calmed down and put back to bed, but were up again around 3am doing the same thing. Then I got a call from Cathy Wednesday morning that the bumps/rash were back on his bottom and that he had had another screaming fit at her house as well. After another call to the pediatrician, it has been determined that Brandon needs to stay on formula (the one for sensitive tummies!) for another 6 months and then we'll try this whole transition thing again.
So we got a good report of healthy ears, lungs, growth, development, and everything else...But we still have dairy allergies to deal with as well as the expense of formula for another six months! Yuck yuck yuck.

Brandon's Stats:
Age: 1 year, 3 days old
Weight: 21 lbs, 10.25 oz (roughly-he was trying to make the chair on the scale rock!)
Height: 29 3/4 inches
Percentiles: 35th in weight, 50th in height, 50th in head circumference

No comments: